Thursday, December 5, 2013

Chapter Five, Page Four

The Not-Dogs are everywhere tonight. I hear their insane yippings from all directions. They sound hungry, and they are searching for some small creature to eat. The old grumpy one was barking nervously and pacing to and fro in the back meadow. He is old, and forgets that he is no longer king in this palace. Once it was HIS job to protect the subjects of the kingdom, but when I became fully grown I took over his rule. In his old age he sometimes forgets he is retired to a life of naps and sitting on the lap of the wrinkled one. I don't mind-someday I shall hand over the throne to another and with good luck he will indulge me as well.

I patrolled the perimeter of the meadow twice more after my person called me to go inside, and marked the edges well with my scent. I bear the Not-Dogs no ill will, but they shall not dine on THIS castle's birds tonight.

Yours ever vigilant,
Boo Radley

No comments:

Post a Comment