Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chapter One, Page Twenty

Very shady goings-on in the kingdom today. I discovered a little chocolate-y black dog living on the side of the castle. Odder still, it is evident that he is here with my person's approval! First the yellow one, and now THIS? At first my heart was sorely vexed, but as of late I have felt more benevolent to those dogs around me who obviously suffer from inferior (or even nonexistent) persons. It has occurred to me that as monarch of this great empire, it would behoove me to feel compassion toward the lesser of my subjects.

There is an air of difference about this one, as if he is only traveling through. although he seems to want my person's attention very badly. She pities him of course. That could be the only reason she takes him for walks and rides in the wagon. He is quite a runt, half my size. He is bigger than the tiny ones, but hardly a dog of kingly stature and no threat to me. The yellow one harasses him through the fence, but I have risen above all that unbecoming yammering.

Our evening walk and games were interesting tonight. Strange persons walked close by us and yet my person still wanted to play the 'down' game. Against my better judgment I participated in the games as dogs challenged me, wagons rolled by, persons shouted their nonsense sounds, and (this most tempting of all) a delicious cat strolled by nonchalantly, completely unaware of my razor-sharp teeth and fine-tuned hunting skills. Foolish little crunchy creature, she knows not that she was saved only by my new-found goodwill toward my fellow creatures. I leave you tonight feeling benevolent and kingly, dear readers. Sleep well and fear not, for I keep constant vigil and will protect you until you wake.

Ever your king, Boo Radley.

No comments:

Post a Comment