Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chapter Two, Page Seventeen

I have finally discovered why I am forced to suffer through the barking and squealings of the thundering herd of person puppies that often visit the castle, and dear readers it is worth every minute of aural agony! We went to a meadow where I smell many other dogs have been, and oh, the 'fetch' games we played!

I have never run so far, so fast, or so long! It was a pure, unadulterated joy to run. The meadow was so enormous the persons could not throw the ball to the end. I leapt, I scrambled, I spent every ounce of energy in my body. At last, I was forced to steal the ball from the persons and flop down in sheer defeat!

Of course, the yellow one foolishly ignored the games, but seemed quite happy to run madly along the perimeter of the meadow, sniffing and snuffling in her strange way. Although she ignored the persons, she also exuded a feeling of utter bliss, and exhausted herself in her imaginary pursuit of all the scents of all the dogs who had come before us.

Because of my tired state, I must admit I was a little grouchy for the evening games, but I did perform as asked. The person puppies all came along, and every time I laid down for the 'stay' game they laid down with me and gazed into the sky, jabbering and jibbering their nonsense.

I cannot think of a day that has been more enjoyable than this. I lay down my head weary, satisfied, and totally at peace.

Your benevolent ruler,
Boo Radley

No comments:

Post a Comment