Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chapter Three, Page Six

My person spent much of the day making smells come from the food room in the castle, after which she began to pull down the old boundaries in the meadow. She left somewhere in the red wagon, and when she came back she smelled of dirt and sweaty small persons.

On our walks, we are learning to trust each other. When a person or dog approaches, I stand at attention and wait for her reaction. When she makes these sounds (itsokaybooboogoodboy) soft and soothing, I know that the approaching creature is no real threat to us, and I keep a watchful eye but do not threaten. When she is nervous or fears the oncomer, that I can also sense. She makes this noise then, (GOWAYBADDOGGOWAY). Sometimes she even throws a rock! Then I growl menacingly until the creature retreats, but I do not give chase.

The yellow one is becoming increasingly affectionate with my person. I find it mildly irritating, but the more time passes, the more I trust my person's loyalty. It is clear that she loves the yellow one (one would have to, to put up with her incessant foolery) but I chuckle to think of any dog ever replacing me in my person's heart. Persons may not be as intelligent a species as we, but they have a great capacity for love and loyalty (and their opposites, may my heart bear witness to the plight of my chained brothers).

It is a proud and loving king who bids you goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment