Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chapter Three, Page Thirteen

Just when I thought the Canine Mastery female and I had forged an (albeit uneasy) truce, she uses my games against me! All was going well in her meadow, and then she walked to her wagon. I thought perhaps she would ride away, but then I heard a squeak. A squeak! The maddening creature had a NOOKNOOK! For those dear readers who do not remember, a nooknook is a fabulous toy much like the binky, but it emits a tantalizing squeak when you bite it.

The Canine Mastery female brought the nooknook to me and THREW IT! I was in agony! I knew my person wanted me to be still, because she made the 'stay' noise. But it was a nooknook! It squeaked! I HAD to chase it! I took a tentative step and was promptly corrected. What fresh hell was this? What evil lurks in the mind of that woman? Why does she torture me so? Back and forth she threw the nooknook, squeaking it at every opportunity. My muscles shook, my body leaned into each toss...I was near madness but I would not let her break me! I stayed seated and was praised by my person, but it was an empty victory. I never attained the nooknook.

After taking a few moments to collect myself, we continued games and I performed flawlessly. My person was corrected on more than one occasion, however. She was very slow to learn the new game. I shall have to be patient with her this week. At the end of our games, my person told me to sit next to all the other dogs in the meadow. They were not tethered to their person, but they sat quietly just the same. The attractive brindle female sat beside me, as did the little black pup. Next to him was the silver female, and several others, including the big muscular one who greeted me enthusiastically when games began. Truth be told, he greeted me a little too enthusiastically for my taste, but he seemed a good fellow so I did not take him to task for it. It was a pleasant enough group, and although I was taken by surprise when my person dropped my leash, I did not move. All this torture, new games, and good behavior on my part have left me exhausted. I bid you goodnight.

Your Benevolent Ruler,
Boo Radley

No comments:

Post a Comment